Finding Employment that Works for
Individuals with Asperger’s Syndrome/Autism
Virtual Seminar: November 21, 2019
Finding the right job or career often poses a significant challenge for individuals with Asperger’s Syndrome (autism spectrum disorder) … and for professionals who assist them. Standard career planning protocols and occupational assessments are not designed to evaluate the unique profile of abilities and challenges of those on the autism spectrum.
Finding Employment that Works for Individuals with Asperger’s Syndrome/Autism is designed specifically for career counselors and coaches, disability services specialists, vocational rehabilitation specialists, job developers, clinicians, and other professionals who want to be better equipped to guide these clients.
This live, interactive seminar explains how communication, executive functioning and sensory processing difficulties impact adults in the workplace. You will learn:
- What is Asperger’s Syndrome
- How communication, sensory, and executive function difficulties impact individuals in the workplace
- Why occupational choices should not be based on interests
- Four steps to finding the right job match
- How to help individuals conduct better vocational research and prepare for interviews
- How to establish rapport, encourage flexible thinking, deal with anxiety and resistance
- Much more!
Information is presented in non-technical language, and illustrated with examples from the presenter’s extensive experience coaching hundreds of adults with Asperger’s Syndrome and similar autism spectrum profiles. The event qualifies for 4 Global Career Development Facilitator (GCDF) credits. Participants receive a comprehensive workbook that includes strategies, tips, worksheets and assessments, and resources.
The strategies and tools presented in this seminar will increase your confidence and ability to assist individuals who are seeking competitive (not sheltered or heavily supported) employment. Topics include:
- Understanding how people with Asperger’s Syndrome think
- Translating strengths of the “Asperger Mind” into manageable jobs and careers
- Choosing assessments that provide a more accurate profile of abilities
- Best and worst work environments
- Addressing fear of change, unrealistic expectations, and other employment barriers
- Disclosure and accommodation strategies
To learn more about offering this training at your agency, organization or group, call 617-690-2127, or email Barbara@ForwardMotion.info.
Cancellations received in writing by November 8, 2019 will be issued a refund less a $30.00 administration fee per registrant. We are not responsible for cancellations that are not received. Please confirm cancellations. After November 8 there are no refunds for any reason. Forward Motion Coaching reserves the right to cancel the seminar due to low enrollment, in which case, the seminar fee will be returned. This is a live event and will not be recorded.